Saturday 8 October 2011

Freelancer.com

While having a nice sweet walk (or surf, if you wish) around the interwebs, I chanced upon this extraordinary website.



While I already know that freelancing is a pretty common thing (perhaps not so in my country), I've never thought that such a website would exist! A website which allows freelancers and paying parties alike to come together and find each other: in economics this would be the reduction of frictional unemployment. Or maybe not.

Anyway, I got a shock when I took a look at what other people are paying. Fifty bucks for a C# task to be completed in a day or two. Fifty measly, mediocre dollars. Being a student of C# myself (and I probably don't know any other language well enough to do a proper job), I was a bit confused for a moment or two. My prospects for the future if I continued in this IT industry... they suddenly looked pretty dim. I wouldn't want to go to work at the office, type code all day long till my head is about to explode, and then bring back home a pathetic grand and a half!

However, with the supply of IT professionals being so abundant (what with people from India, Russia, places I've never heard of), prices are sure to be driven down low. This would be especially so if companies were to take a broader stance and look beyond their own countries, and outsouce from freelancers from all over the globe. Maybe not so in Singapore, perhaps--I believe our culture is still much too conservative and not so risk-taking. Indeed, outsourcing from people you don't know poses a large potential risk... how if? the person fails to deliver?

Still, such websites are very disheartening to a soon-to-be young adult such as me. Take a look at this list: 25 whopping websites to find your dear freelancer... this is, this is, certainly not the direction I want this world to take. So many people offering to do professional jobs for half the money I'd like to do them for! Malevolent job stealers! Voleurs! Je deteste vous tous! Putains!

Let me enjoy this lifetime, oh dear God, and not thrust me into the depths of apocalypse.

No comments:

Post a Comment